Tuesday, February 28, 2012

台式牛肉燴飯 Taiwan Style Beef in Gravy over Rice


I must of eaten this dish hundreds of times during my time in Taiwan. I never got tired of it and I have been trying to find a recipe just like what I had there for the last almost 6 years.I finally have the perfect recipe that brings back so many memories for me. I know you all with just devour this like I do so I hope it goes on your list of to try soon recipes.

I am offering you two sauce options here for the following reasons. When I fist arrived in Taiwan I wasn't thrilled with this dish because I wasn't use to beef having a silky smooth mouth feel or being served in seafood flavored sauce. But it wasn't long before none of that bothered me anymore and I was totally addicted to this stuff. That said, for those of you who have been to Taiwan and really like all those qualities in Hui Fan then go with Hui Fan sauce #1. Hui Fan Sauce #2 is still just as authentic but it doesn't have as slimy a texture and none of that fishy flavor. Also take the cornstarch out of the beef marinade if you would prefer a textured beef mouth feel rather than a silky smooth mouth feel.

Ingredients
250 grams Beef tenderloin
1/2 carrot sliced on a slant
1/2 onion, cut in chumks
1 green onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
400 ml or 1 3/4 cups beef broth
1 cup roughly chopped spinach or other green
1 Tbsp. starch or 3 Tbsp. lotus root powder mixed with 1 Tbsp. water

Beef marinade:
1 Tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp. beef boullion
2 Tbsp. starch

Hui Fan Sauce #1
2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp.oyster sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. Chinese cooking wine

Hui Fan Sauce #2
3 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground black pepper

Thinly slice beef against the grain. This is easiest when it is mostly frozen with a very sharp non-serrated knife. The knife I and using here is a boning knife which I have found to be great at getting super thin slices.
 Mix Cooking wine, soy sauce and beef boullion into beef and let rest 30 minutes then stir in starch. Meanwhile prep vegetables and mix Hui Fan Sauce ingredients.
Heat wok over high heat and add 1-2 inches of oil. Stir-fry beef until cooked through then remove.
 Heat a little oil and add onion. Stir-fry until onion starts to soften then add garlic and green onion. 
 Stir in the prepared Hui Fan Sauce.
Add water, carrots and beef. Simmer a couple minutes or until carrots are tender crisps. Add in spinach or other green of your choice.
Pour in the starch or lotus root powder and water mixture and stir until lightly thickened. Take off the heat and serve over rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment