Saturday, March 1, 2014

烤地瓜Roasted Yams

Today's post is a super simple recipe.
I don't remember if I saw these in Taiwan or not but in Beijing I used to get these several times a week. They used a large metal canister, start a fire in the bottom then have a grate up near the top where they place yams, and let them roast. At least that is how I am guessing it was done, I never did actually look down into one of the canisters, I am just guessing there was a fire down there. I miss those so much, the insides get all caramelized so it is like eating candy. Here is my method that I figured out to get similar results using an oven. Of course a low and slow cook in the BBQ would be even better.

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Cover the bottom rack of the oven with tin foil wide enough and long enough to catch any juice dripping from the yams.
3. Poke holes in the yams with a fork or skewer. This just makes it easier to remove the skin after it is baked. Place the yams on the top rack of the oven.
4. Bake at 375 F for 1 hour or until the yams feel soft when you push a finger against them.
5. Place in the oven about 4-5 inches below the broiler. Turn the broiler on low.
6. Broil them, turning every 10 minutes for a total of 20-30 minutes, until they are extremely soft, the skins are puffed, They are more or less evenly charred all over, and the skins will have cracked and the sugars will be leaking out onto the tin foil or parchment paper.


 My kids go absolutely crazy for these yams. Tested it out on their cousins when they were here and they had the same reaction. These seriously taste like candy. SO delicious!


On another topic:

I have a personal goal on a level I would like to be at with my Chinese within the next few years and I have been using two sites in particular that I would like to share with anyone who has similar goals. One is called ABC's of Chinese. You learn to write all the radicals. The other is Super Flashcards.It has 79 different topic categories where it helps you learn to read characters, through several different approaches. Both sites are free as well. I use these two sites along with watching, currently, a Taiwanese T.V Show and reading the Character subtitles as I watch. If anyone eles has resources they use or have used and want to recommend please do so. That would be great.

1 comment :

  1. Oh my goodness!! I am the happiest person ever! You have so many of my favorite foods on your blog. I spent nearly 2 years in taiwan. I cannot wait to start making some of the foods that are so dear to my heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete